Saturday, January 28, 2012

Snowy Days and Contentment

These snowy January days remind me of a favorite poem by Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. I share it here along with a few favorite winter scenes I love.

We live next to my parents on a dead end dirt road. I often think of this poem in the winter when I take time to do a favorite thing--take a walk to mom's for tea, in the dark, on a snowy night. Sounds are muffled and insulated, lights are transformed into twinkling stars with fuzzy halos. Snowflakes fall on my nose and eyelashes. They make me smile again even though I struggle with this winter season.

January Scene in our Woods

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

By Robert Frost
New Hampshire
1923

There are moments in life when it seems time is transcended, even suspended, and peace feels tangible and visceral. These moments are like plot points in the big story--moments when you know you are in a story that's going somewhere important. Like plot points on a graph that form a line, moving in a certain direction. Momentum, from a power beyond the tedium of everyday life. It's a reassurance that the minutia in life is okay--it's just the line between the points. When I experience these woods on a snowy evening, I want to stay there and stay in the comfort of the knowing.

But alas, I have miles to go before I sleep.
Sigh. Contented sigh.

Just don't miss the snowy evenings. Take time to know them. Sometimes you make time for them. Sometimes they creep up on you pleasantly like the stillness in the woods, in the dark, as the flakes fall softly down.
Sigh. Contented sigh.





4 comments:

  1. Love this, Anne, both pics, poem, and thoughts:) Robert Frost is a favorite of mine, and I memorized this one long ago. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. I wish my memory would hold onto things like this, but that's not a gift of mine. Glad you enjoyed dropping by today. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't had much snow this winter, but whenever it does fall, we all stand by the window and watch it. It's fun to see it through my 18-mo-old daughter's eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by. I think you might have had more snow than us lately! Enjoy. :o)

    ReplyDelete