Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Writer's Weekend Countdown

I'm trying not to think about all that I'll be missing at this year's ACFW annual conference...the worship, the keynote speaker, the food, the networking, opportunity...OH snap!

<shake self out of it>

Slurp coffee.

Breath in, breath out.

Goals? What, back to reality? Check.

Yes, my CP and I have once again decided several months ago, (Ahem, cough, could it have been after Genesis?)--not to attend the annual American Christian Fiction Writer's conference. We are planning our second annual Critique Partner Writer's Weekend--CPWW!!  You too, could attend your very first annual CPWW!

So, we are 16 days to count down and I'm feeling a little panicked. Part of the good that comes from committing to attend a conference is the forced deadline to write a one page, practice your elevator pitches, and have a synopsis ready on the off chance (dreammmming onnnnn) that an agent or editor will ask for it. Yes, the pressure pushes you outside your comfort zone. And this is good. 

But, the CPWW will be all about comfort I assure you! Coffee, chocolate, snuggles under a throw while watching a period piece, sharing recent reads, deserts, pizza, and pajamas.

So, what's to push me/us while we are zoning in comfort?

Ok, check list of goals and ideas.

1. Reread her current WIP (while drinking coffee)
2. Skim my current WIP (will need chocolate here)
3. Brainstorming session focused on mashing out the problem areas of plot, structure, character
    consistencies. (insert more coffee)
4. Bring a craft book to work with; pick a craft topic and apply it to our WIPs (over desert--pumpkin
    pie? apple?)
5. Discuss current trends in publishing. (tea time)

Intermission: watch inspiring romantic movie (Pride & Prejudice, Out of Africa, Last of the Mohicans, etc)

6. Talk about/research if we should consider spending our money on a professional edit review of
    current WIP's. (no desert, play with kids--time to pinch pennies!)
7. Review recent reads, and TBR pile. (prepare to sprinkle giggles between sips of coffee!)
8. Critique our blogs and online presence--ugh (let's go for a hike now!!)
9. Review our Genesis reviews. (ice cream? pizza?)
10. Make a timeline of goals before ACFW 2013. (binoculars please, I can't see that far ahead!)

Finale: theatre here we come--gonna see The Words.

Ok, so maybe I won't have pushed myself out of my comfort zone like at a conference--only out of my waistband! But, last year's CPWW was just the kick in the pants I needed to launch a great winter of writing. If all goes well, I hope to finish WIP #2 this winter and think about whipping WIP #1 into shape and up to my current level of craft.

Rumor has it ACFW 2013 is in Indy (Indianapolis, IN)--and I plan to attend.
Maybe I'll have to fast from coffee for the slush fund!

What goals will you shoot for if you can't attend ACFW this year?

Leave a comment (here or on Facebook) or a goal on your list and enter a drawing for free copy of Laura Frantz's new release, Love's Beckoning
Comment deadline for drawing is Sept 12, limited to continental USA.

34 comments:

  1. Anne, I'm not going either this year, sadly! Love the music, food, and fellowship - and all that book talk! But your idea of CPWW sounds wonderful! And thanks so much for giving away a copy of LR. You're a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! Anyone who doesn't stop by for a chance at a free copy will be missing out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying not to think about missing ACFW too, Anne! This is a lovely book and it's just killing me that I had to stop everything to work on edits. Its sitting by my bag, calling my name. As soon as I hit "send" to my editor, I'm diving back in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Joanne! I'm on chapter 1, and dying to dive back in! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I have a goal to enter the First Impressions contest, so I'll be working on continuing to polish those important first five pages. Thanks so much for the chance to win Love's Beckoning and all the best with your own goals.

    ~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Debbie. I haven't heard of First Impressions contest, I'll have to look it up. It's true that contests often force that commitment to a deadline too. Genesis was a great exercise in learning for me. Best of luck in your contest. What genre do you write?

      Delete
  5. Oh your CPWW sounds like fun! One of my goals this year was simply to read more now that I'm finally out of school (and job hunting *gulp*). Thanks for the chance to win Love's Reckoning!

    ecriggs1990(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, sounds like you've been working hard going to school, I sure understand that! Blessings as you enjoy more free time to read and write again. May you find the right job for you also!

      Delete
  6. I'd love to win a copy of Laura's new book. It sounds great I enjoyed her discussion at TBCN. My goal for this year is to get organized. I want to use the computer more and and discover new tools to help me do my job better. I know that God is a miracle worker!! I'm counting on that and for Him to give me the tools I need! Grin!

    Thanks for this opportunity to win a copy of Laura's book.

    Blessings

    Nora St.Laurent
    norafindinghope(at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nora. Yes, a writing space, computer, and organization are key to your writing and organization. I hope you accomplish your "list" this year!

      Delete
  7. My goal on my list is when my youngest child who is 14 is out of 5 { 35,31,30,24,and 14 are their ages } as graduated from High School I want to go back to school to become a Christian Counselor .I'll be 55 years old but I'll wait my children come 1st .Thanks ,Dana M Spille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you'll have so much life experience to add to your next phase in life Dana! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Last year I achieved my goal of finishing my cookbook "& You're a Preachers Wife?" After 20 yrs of being a preachers wife, Home Ec teacher and 4-H educator the Lord moved us to be missionaries in Mexico and Nicaragua. I included funny stories along with REAL recipes that even include when its a good place to lick your fingers. Finally, I decided it had to get done NOW! 450 books sold and a yr later I still can't believe its done! New goal...mire recipes to test and lots more funny stories from life to write. Right NOW..my big goal is to win this book I've been trying for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "lick your fingers!" LOL, I love that. Sounds like you have a gift for wit that people enjoy! Best of luck on your next goal.

      Delete
  9. Days like today... my goal is just to make it through the day and get the laundry done (mother of 5 here as well) and not get too frustrated at our puppy who likes to CHEW EVERYTHING!

    One of these days (my youngest is 5), I'd like to go back and get my master's degree in Christian Counseling (have my bachelors), but like Dana... my kids come first. My husband and I have talked about adoption, so if we adopt, my Masters may never come, but for now, I'm living one day at a time.

    Oh, and I LOVE the cover of this book!! And can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladette, I went back to get my masters when my youngest went to kindergarten. It took me three years. It was the best thing I ever did. I pray God gives you a very clear calling and affirmation for the path ahead of you.
      Thanks for stopping by for your chance to win!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Ladette, you are the winner of the book drawing. Please send me your email address so I can get your snail mail info for Amazon to mail you a copy of Love's Reckoning!!

      Delete
  10. My goal is to #1: Finish my current WIP on time (Oct. 1 deadline). #2: Start my next novel within 30 days of turning in my current one, so I never, no never, have to deal with this awful time crunch again. You would think I would have learned my lesson last time!
    I would love to win Laura's new book. :) I always say reading good fiction is like research for the novelist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn, I agree that good reading=good research. I'll have to google your work! Blessings on your deadlines.

      Delete
  11. My goal this year? Well, I have plenty, but one of them is to get through this second semester of college. It's going well so far, and I'm excited to see what God has in store! That, and another one was to get more reading done this year... I've been doing pretty good on that one, too! ;)

    Thanks for the great giveaway! I'm so looking forward to reading Laura's latest!

    lubell1106(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elyssa,study hard, I'm sure it will pay off well for you. Reading is always a good goal! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  12. My goal in the future is to one go to Northern Ireland and meet some of my family that I have never met before.

    Thank you!
    campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amy, that sounds so wonderfully fascinating--sounds like a story!
      Happy trails!

      Delete
  13. Oh my, I'd love a CPWW, my crit partner lives so far away, both of them, but I'd feel like all we would do is play and talk---which sounds fun in and of itself. We've had virtual ice cream pity parties before. :)

    My current goal. Figure out what I should be writing on, absolutely not sure what I should be doing right now!

    rmjagears AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, rejoice that you've found such great CP's! This is a true treasure. I'm riding the train to my CP's--I can write on the train!
      Hope you are challenged to get some clear direction in your goals.

      Delete
  14. great incentive, Anne!
    TY for your giveaway generosity :)
    goal? stilling my life to hear the Voice that matters ~
    then following ...
    faithhopecherrytea at*gmail*dotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, thanks for stopping by. Yes, stilling myself to find my center in Christ--the anti-too-busy cure!

      Delete
  15. Love's Beckoning sounds like a book I would really like to read! gamergranny64@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only on chapter one. Can't wait to read more this weekend!

      Delete
  16. Hi Anne~
    I've never been to the conference but I would love to go one day. Your writer's getaway sounds great! The Words trailers look really good! I am looking forward to putting some ideas down and getting motivated again to write. Having a newborn and 2 surgeries along with a cancer diagnosis has slowed me down some. I'd love a chance to read Laura's book! ~Stacey
    travelingstacey(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Tracy bless you. What a journey you've been on! I bless you with prayers of healing and sustenance. May God give you clarity and joy in your days with your children and your writing. If you ever get a chance to attend a good writing conference its worth the investment and the plunge! I started with a smaller cheaper one close to home and wasn't disappointed. Have fun at The Words! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! : ) I appreciate your prayers and encouragement! ~Stacey

      Delete